SMH Vancouver Programs
Stand Up For Mental Health is a program teaching stand up comedy to people with mental health issues as a way of building confidence and fighting public stigma.
For more info on the program click here
Start Date: July 2021 exact date TBC
Classes: Class is on Tuesdays from 11 am – 2 pm. in a church basement near Brentwood Skytrain in Burnaby. However, due to Covid all classes are now on zoom.
We do two shows, a debut show at La Fontana Caffe which we may have to do virtually depending on Covid. Our plan is to do a live grad show at Yuk Yuks in Vancouver.
Costs: Cost is $250. If people were taking this course outside of Stand Up For Mental Health it would cost well over $1000.
However, if that’s a problem we’d glad to negotiate a sliding scale – WE NEVER EVER EVER TURN ANYONE AWAY FOR FINANCIAL REASONS NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!! The minimum for the 6 months is $5.00. Each comic negotiates the fee with David and whatever is agreed on is kept confidential.
Screening: Each potential student undergoes a screening interview to make sure he or she meets the criteria for participation in Stand Up For Mental Health. Participants must
- Have a mental health or addictions issue
- Have stable housing
- Have a support system including service providers
- Be in recovery
- Have a reasonable command of written and spoken English
- Have the motivation and desire to create healthy change
- If there are addiction issues the applicant must have at least a year of sobriety
- For mental health issues applicants must have at least one year of recovery.
- Be capable of sitting in class and paying attention
- Have access to phone, email and wifi
- And above all else, have a desire to do stand up comedy
To register contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Register for a Class
Become a Member
We are always looking for new members for our society. If you become a member all you have to to is to send us your name and email and we’ll add you to our membership list and send you the occasional update and invitation to our yearly Annual General Meeting.Become a Member