SMH Vancouver Programs
Stand Up For Mental Health is a program teaching stand up comedy to people with mental health issues as a way of building confidence and fighting public stigma.
For more info on the program click here
Start Date: July 2022, exact date TBC.
Classes: Class is on Tuesdays from 10:45 am – 1:45 pm. in a church basement near Brentwood Skytrain in Burnaby. However, due to Covid all classes are now on zoom. We plan to transition to live classes in April or May 2022.
We do two shows, a debut show and a grad show.
Costs: Cost is $250. If people were taking this course outside of Stand Up For Mental Health it would cost well over $1000.
However, if that’s a problem we’d glad to negotiate a sliding scale – WE NEVER EVER EVER TURN ANYONE AWAY FOR FINANCIAL REASONS NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!! The minimum for the 6 months is $5.00. Each comic negotiates the fee with David and whatever is agreed on is kept confidential.
Screening: Each potential student undergoes a screening interview to make sure he or she meets the criteria for participation in Stand Up For Mental Health. Participants must
- Have a mental health or addictions issue
- Have stable housing
- Have a support system
- Be in recovery
- Have a reasonable command of written and spoken English
- Have the motivation and desire to create healthy change
- If there are addiction issues the applicant must have at least a year of sobriety
- For mental health issues applicants must have at least one year of recovery.
- Be capable of sitting in class and paying attention
- Have access to phone, email and wifi
- And above all else, have a desire to do stand up comedy
To register contact: email@example.com
Register for a Class
Become a Member
We are always looking for new members for our society. If you become a member all you have to to is to send us your name and email and we’ll add you to our membership list and send you the occasional update and invitation to our yearly Annual General Meeting.Become a Member